Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Magic Peanut Butter Middle Cookies

Every year, the school where my mother teaches has a cookie exchange. Let me tell you, I looked forward to this annual event as a child maybe even more than staying up all night on Christmas Eve, hoping to catch Santa mid-milk gulp after carefully placing each gift under our eclectic tree. And call me biased, but I always thought the cookies she made were the best. This one is especially delicious because it combines two of my favorite things: peanut butter and chocolate! I like this recipe so much, I will be using it as part of this year's Christmas dessert!


Cookie Dough:

1 ½ cups all purpose flour

½ cup unsweetened cocoa

½ tsp baking soda

½ cup sugar

½ cup brown sugar

½ cup butter, softened

¼ cup peanut butter

1 tsp vanilla

1 egg

Filling:

¾ cup peanut butter

¾ cup confectioner’s sugar

Combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda; blend well. In large bowl beat sugar, brown sugar, butter and ¼ cup peanut butter until light and fluffy.

Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Stir in flour mixture until blended; set aside. In small bowl combine filling ingredients; blend well. Roll into 1 inch balls (a little smaller works better).

For each cookie, with floured hands, shape about 1 tablespoon of dough around peanut butter ball, covering completely. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.

Bake at 375° for 7 to 9 minutes or until set and slightly cracked.

No comments: